[RC] Spooks / HRM ...and another thought about dismiised chef d' equipe - smuncy

'I have learned over the past few rides, what his heartrate does during spooks.  If we are walking, and the wind blows, the heart rate goes up to the 90's.  A horizontal log (this is one of his major pet peeves.  I think he's worried about whatever pushed that log over is coming after him next) runs around 100.  If the wind is blowing AND we come across a horizontal tree, think 130.  Oddly enough, the turkeys that popped out and the deer that jumped in front of us hardly made a dent in that heart rate.  That makes no sense to me, but then, I'm not a horse.  Oh, and the black spot on the road was a 120 bpm spook.    I wonder, as he gains more fitness, does the spook bpm rating go down too?"
     Jmho  -- NO. lol  - had one non-spooky horse - not much affected heart rate, unless, problem - or one brewing  - or dehydration --- did see differences there. If he ran 10 or 20 higher than norms - I knew to back off, or look for potential problem. ( But, consider trained with monitor - so I knew his 'norms'. Same with horse below, but ..)
              The spooky one - ....well, overall, - have to  say they can get better over time,  (  the spooks  =  miles, and wet saddle pads - generally -  = those have to be in conjunction, ie, same ride, but still don't  relax at end of 50 - when think horse is tired - they  will  find 'something' - that horizonal  log / piece of paper - to  jump at )..... but can not rely on heart monitor. Generally, though never was able to really check 'spook reading',  to concerned with correcting and riding it out, making him  'go forward' ,, and not side to side  of trail -  generalized  'anxiety'  will show higher - ? 10  to 50 or so beats  higher, - but don't need monitor for that - can feel in 'attitude, muscles' - like riding 'a coiled spring' - just waiting for it to go off .!   Really -  takes using monitor consistantly, keeping records,  - of what done, speed, terrain, etc,   to get useful info - to be able to interpet; averages better then one time readings -( I think ) - even then 'have to know horse' - and what he is telling you.  ie, higher reading - ? excitement, or  ? 'problem'.  Just a thought - the 'natural' animals - deer. turkey -  they know - can smell ,  identify - know not a threat.( though have almost been run into by deer); -  that horizonal log - may have lingering a bear scent, the black spot in road -  he thinks 'a deep hole' - poor depth perception. now that piece of paper  ???  maybe he sees a ghost. Of  course , some have over active imaginations and see ghost, goblins, and devils, demons. My personally opinion - are  that some can not tolerate windy days, and open areas - makes to much 'air space'  between their ears; others say - they smell  too many strange smells and their sense are 'hyper - aware - ie - overloaded - hmm almost - same thing.
   Just have to wonder - and I do not do international rides, and only one FEI - ( and did not like proposals I read, but )....... but ..wonder -- if,  he did not like their 'rules'/ proposals -  and 'stood up'  to them - for horses benefit - and .....
well, easier to get  ' "their" own person in' - in their pocket --oops, I said that.! Just thought.And does affect me - so they can what  they want   - not AERC.    JMHO StephanieM