[RC] Hay there! ( a little help, please) - Erick Larson

Greetings:

I just received my hay analysis from the University of Tennessee.  It’s a jumble of numbers and I am having trouble making sense out of it.  >From what I have been able to determine by a Google Search and reading all available material from the Ag Extension my 1,000 lb. nursing cows should do very well on this hay.  Too bad I don’t have any 1,000 lb. nursing cows.  I have a couple of geldings in their first year of doing 50’s (barefoot I’m afraid!).

Soooo…..

Below are the numbers.  Can anyone tell me how to make sense out of them.  I am interested in feeding the highest quality hay to my “boys”.  For horses training and competing in endurance what numbers are you looking for in feed test results?  If I know what to shoot for, I can adjust my fields accordingly.  Or perhaps the “geek” in me is showing and I should just feed ‘em what grows and ride.

Fescue/Orchardgrass Hay

Moisture % 10.5

Dry Matter % 89.5

Protein % 15.02