[RC] lowered age limit - Pvan19

lowering the age limit has everything to do with economics for breeders & owners, and nothing with protecting the horse

obvious - no?

Pauline
From: "Barbara McCrary" <bigcreekranch@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RC]   USEF, Tom Johnson & damaging speculation.

I agree with this issue of horse's age wholeheartedly.  I have brought along
numerous horses over the years from 4 year olds to a strong working
endurance horse.  In my experience, a horse is ready to start a few LDs when
he is 5, then a few slow 50s when he is 6, then more 50s and maybe a 75 when
he's 7, a greater workload when he's 8, and finally, at age 9, I think he's
ready for 100s.  I'm not just talking about conditioning, either, but about
the horse's maturity, both physically and mentally.  To me, when a horse has
reached 9, he's ready to be considered mature.  If I would make any
amendments to the above, I would say a horse might try a slow or easy 100 at
age 8, but it wouldn't bother me any to see him a full 9 years old before
trying 100s.  Yes, I know that Rio won Tevis as a 7 year old, and that he
was still in great condition and soundness at 22 or 23, but there aren't
very many Rios in the world.  The horse was a real "freak of nature", very
much as the legendary Justin Morgan was one.
JMO, and not a very humble one, either.

Barbara