Re: [RC] As we wait for USEF Announcements - Joe Long

We've been seeing quite a bit of FEI-bashing the last few days, precipitated by
the unfortunate dumping of the Chef d' Equipe.  And some people's concerns are
certainly justified.  But please, let's not get carried away and (pardon the
cliche) "throw the baby out with the bathwater."

The only FEI ride I ever participated in was the World Cup in 1988, where I was
proud to be selected to be on the U.S. team.  I was honored, and I enjoyed the
event (even though as it turned out I didn't get to ride); but I also discovered
that FEI is not my cup of tea.  Hey, different strokes for different folks.
Maybe after my second retirement (in a few years) and I have more time to be
away from home, I'll give FEI a try again.

However, I believed then, and I believe now, that it is good for both FEI (and
USEF) and the AERC for the AERC to be involved in FEI rides.  I support AERC
International, and our FEI riders and volunteers.

Sure, FEI is not just another level of compeition, they do a lot of things
differently.  Nevertheless, the AERC has IMO had a good influence on the FEI and
its rules.  We should continue to try to use what influence we have to make FEI
rules, policies, practices and events better.  A little influence is better than
none at all.

The main thing is, since its beginnings endurance riding has been a "Big Tent,"
with a great variety of goals, rewards, and levels of competition.  Not everyone
who rides AERC rides is after the same thing, and that has been very good for
us.  I do not believe we should kick FEI out of our tent; that would diminish
both FEI and AERC.
--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx