[RC] [RC] USEF, Tom Johnson & damaging speculation. - Lynne Glazer - KimFue

Re horse age: I am concerned to see a 7 year old horse on the team. 7 years old! Doing 10 hour 100s! I know the rider is very experienced, but dang--that horse isn't done growing yet. I am not a fan of rules except to protect the horse--and wish we had a minimum age for international competition, especially since we know these are fast courses.

Lynne

You know that this is one of my biggest complaints with the direction of International competition.  Last year, when this change was made, I really tried to find out why.  To their credit, most of the AERC I riders and representitives I spoke with were against lowering the age from 7 to 8.  It was at this time that I realized that even though AERC members are on the USEF high performance committee, they are there as individuals not as representitives of AERC or AERC I.  Nobody could give me a good answer on "why" this change was necessary or needed.  It is interesting that the defense used most often was AERC allows 5 year old to enter 100s so this requirement is actually more stringent than AERC.   I guess on paper it looks that way but in reality most of the 5 and 6 year olds that are ridden in 100s are not being trained and ridden at the WEC level.  Imagine 6 or 7 year olds being REQUIRED to finish a 100 within  in less than 13.5 hours to earn a COC.

I understand why speed has become such an important factor in international competition.  One of the main reasons is if you cannot or do not offer a technical course (as some countries are unable to do) the competition is only going to be determined by speed.   So yes, US horses to be competitive need to be faster.  BUT there is no reason for US horses to be younger!!   Changes in training methods, selections requirements to include fewer 100s, etc. can accomplish getting sounder, faster, horses peaked for a big event.  The age of the horse does not need to be lowered.  Just looking at the short list for the WEC proves this.  There are several horses between 10-12 and into their teens that are short listed.

I find it amazing that all the material, articles, educational pulications, etc that AERC publishes or recommends states that horses need to have a substanial base before being RACED.  It is too bad that USEF did not take this into account when they lowered their age requirement.  I have never seen anything published that suggests that a 7 year old is better suited to winning.

My opinion is not directed toward anyone that is campaigning their 7 year old for the WEC.   I am not concerned with individuals as much as I am concerned with what an organization "PROMOTES".    There is no question in my mind that USEF is saying it is OK to get your 5 or 6 year old trained and qualified for an Olympic level 100 mile race at speeds that average over 10 MPH.  Somehow, that just doesn't jive with how I see AERC promoting endurance riding (even though they do allow 5 year old to compete in a 100).

Kim Fuess