[RC] "Retarded" farriers - Valerie Jaques

I hope I'm not in that category....  I certainly haven't had any complaints, at least not to my face!  The last person who quit me over work wanted me to put about an inch of shoe behind the heel, and I felt that was detrimental....  But anyway.   A stall jack is a wonderful device, and actually much easier to shape a shoe over than an anvil.  Most of us have anvils because we also handmake shoes, and while that can be done over a stall jack, making shoes on one's knees is decidedly uncomfortable.  I do recommend the use of a forge, as it makes it significantly easier to get a smooth shape.  Cold shoeing is hard and just makes your elbow and wrist sore.
Val