[RC] MPG/diesels - Kathie Ford

I am wondering about this MPG thing with Diesels. My husband is now a diesel tech again (used to work GM) and mentioned that the Fords MPG is not as good as the Dodge.  We have a 2001 Dodge and I'm thinking to agree.

Speed does indeed seem to be a factor and I find my best mileage hauling or not is between 55-65 on the flat, ie. freeways.  Truck says up to 35 MPG.  Hills on the other hand goes way down which is expected, like 7-9 mpg depending on the grade.  I really don't noticed too much difference hauling vs. not hauling though.

Definitely goes down (mpg) when over 70, unless on flat.  Downhills of course is the very best mpg, but how much of that do we drive (especially in Calif.)

Also, I just found out there is a product that Dynamite sells as a safe additive to boost MPG.  I'm going to try it as it doesn?t have any of the junk that is in the other additives.  I can't remember what my husband said, but there are some substances in some of these additives to increase MPG that can clog up the injectors, especially in the Fords.  And they are very very expensive to replace.  I'll try to find out what they are if anyone is interested.  Of course, I'm sure many of you already may know.

kathie