Re: [RC] Shoeing...Xrays... - rides2far

 A team, consisting of the  client, farrier and vet will  have
conversations > in a manner that will benefit the horse(s); not
someone's  ego.
 >  Farrier for Angie McGhee many times,
   Jaye Perry

Well...actually, when Jaye put shoes on my horse I just said, "You do
what's right for him...you're the farrier, you shoe, I ride". That's the
thing. I do NOT have the eye for it. I don't want him doing what I tell
him. I want him knowing what to do in the first place!  Jaye's a 6 hour
round trip haul for me so that explains why I can't just have him do
them. Jaye and Guy (the one who left the country) are the only farriers I
have ever used who watched the horse move. Period. I talked to a guy who
shoes for World Championship Reining horses near here and he assured me
he could shoe them. "All horses are alike, you shoe them all alike" he
said. Ugh!

I like a farrier who's like the NASCAR driver's crew chief. It's my job
to tell him what the horse is doing. It was his job to fix it.  I liked
that. But to do it you have to have faith that the farrier knows what
he's doing and what *you're* doing.

Quick story about the last guy who came out.  He was very talkative and
friendly until I said...very politely, "Um, do you think you could maybe
give him a little more room in the heel, maybe enough to roll a nickle
around the outside?"  The guy went totally rigid, made no comment and
continued to shoe. Finally, when he finished the hoof he put it down,
stood up and said, "There's your nickle and I wouldn't bet you a nickle
that it will still be there when you get through riding".  I was kinda
taken aback and said, "Well that's how we always do it and I think it
will be fine". Then he kinda smugly said, "Well, maybe your idea of
*rocks* and my idea of *rocks* aren't the same thing. I said, "Oh really,
where do you consider it rocky?" He said, "Ever ride Pigeon Mtn." Ugh
(only every weekend of my life)  I said, "Yeah". Then he said, he rode
his mare on that trail with them tunnels last week. (the mine trail)"  I
just smiled sweetly and said, "Matter of fact we rode there Saturday. We
started at the Estelle campground, did the Cane trail, Atwood point,
Allen Creek, Rape Gap, South Pocket and the Mine Trail."  (that adds up
to around 35 miles and we had done it the weekend before)  He shut up
then. >eg< Oh yeah, when I told him Kaboot had 3000 miles of competition
he told me he *guaranteed* he had 200,000 miles on his old mare!  I did
some math when I got in the house. He'd have to ride her about 22 miles a
day for 28 years or so. >fume<

Angie