Re: [RC] how many endurance riders shoe and trim their own horses? - Jon . Linderman

I shoe all of our horses, but not out of disgust with farriers.  We have a race horse who had the habit of springing a shoe the day we left for the track, and my wife's dressage horse repeatedly left shoes in his paddock when I took my endurance horse to rides.  We have one old arab with Cushings and he needs constant attention.........so I watched, listened, read, watched Doug Butler videos and began slowly to replace shoes.  Eventually I began to trim & shoe & now have a nice workshop with most of the toys: forge, anvil, etc.  The 1st nail was nerve racking, but now I enjoy all of it immesly.  My daughter asked me why I like it so much & I told her, admiring her TB' feet (once a brittle underrun mess!), now  nicely trimmed, balanced and shod feet, that I enjoy seeing changes in their feet, enjoy learning, and get a certain satisfaction knowing my horse's do well & my part is more than just buying the feed.  Farriers are some of the best people to hang out with and I have several good friends who are professionals.  I am quick to point out that I shoe my horses & do not claim to be a farrier, and so I am accepted, but I do get nice comments on my work all the time.  I can do it more frequently and prevent the unrideable 3 shoe horse inthe paddock. One guy always asks if I need tools sharpened or need any supplies since I order much smaller quantities and offers tips whenever I ask.  Its not easy.  I go slow, but then they are mine & the only person I can bitch at is myself if the works not right.

Jon

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-