Re: [RC] how many endurance riders shoe and trim their own horses? - Flora Hillman

Have been shoeing for over 25 years -- but only do my own, so ... my back is still working great. Educated myself by a book, along with observation and consultation with *good* farriers throughout the years.    I learned when I was eventing in the late 70's. I didn't start endurance riding until Y2K.

No, it's not hard to learn, but ...if you are only doing your own, and don't own a herd of 30, it will take you longer to learn to do it proficiently.  Hitting that very first nail in for the very first time is the most nerve-wracking thing you'll ever have to do when learning to shoe. :-)