[RC] God, horse, lightening struck mare - tim miller

Of interest may be the mare's current eye treatment.  The midpoint of the cornea was a vertical U, indicating cell loss.  If it turns to a teardrop shape, or appears to be "melting", the eye is beyond saving.

From the outset, the eye has been regularly treated with various prescription and OTC gels to keep it moist.  Scratching was difficult to prevent, and may have increased damage until we applied half-blinders, which now remain on 24-7.  Blood is drawn and refrigerated, liquid serum is drawn and applied to the eye by dropper, along with gels, every two hours.  Over the last 48 hours the vertical U has disappeared, indicating cellular growth.  Currently, she has partial vision.

What I believe was the discharge point, above the rt. front elbow, a minimum of 8" deep at outset, is healing nicely.  There is slight improvement on right side mouth flaccidity, she barley drops any grain, grass or hay when eating.  Her ability to move steadily increases daily.  Her rt. ear shows slight improvement.  Prognosis is good for continued nerve regeneration.

I would publicly like to thank - from the bottom of my heart - Holly and Tom Sayvetz of Asgard Arabians.  They very generously offered me one of their great reproducing mares for impregnation to the stallion of my choice.  I do not have the words to convey the mental boost that gave us, or to thank them enough.

Successful enhancing of any breed doesn't just happen.  It entails years of study, hard work, and the ability to bounce back from the inevitable tragedies.  Any gratification is long delayed.  It takes very special people like Tom and Holly to stick it out, they've earned their success over many years of determination and striving towards their goals, in spite of backward steps along the way.  There are lessons to be learned from these good people, they are a credit to the Arabian breed and their hard work will be admired for generations to come.

Honor your dedicated top breeders. They are making both your future riding partner; and you proud.

Tim Miller