Re: [RC] 8 days a week - Sisu West Ranch

For an interesting discussion of day names and number of days in a week around the world see:  http://www.12x30.net/origin.html

Week length has varied from 10 days to 8 to 7 to 4 depending on where and when you lived.

The most popular day names has tended to be the names of the seven astronomical objects (5 planets, plus the sun and moon) that moved around the stars and were often associated with local gods.

Calendars and their history are quite interesting.  The basic problem is that our world insists on not being convenient.  It takes 365 and a quarter (plus a little bit) days to go around the sun, so if you want to have a calendar that stays in tune with the seasons (helps with agriculture and even migration if you are a member of a nomadic tribe) it needs to be complicated.

If you then decide that the phase of the moon is a good guide for normal activities (I'll meet you at the ford the next time the moon is full etc.) you have even more complications in the calendar.

Even some relatively literate societies have had calendar problems.  Ever wonder why "October Revolution" in Russia is celebrated in November?

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875