Re: [RC] Angie's Religion//The 9th Commandment - Beverley H. Kane, MD

On 6/15/06 6:19 AM, "Bruce Weary DC" <bweary@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[...] there is one of The Ten
Commandments she will assuredly never break.
  She will never, ever, ever...........................covet her
neighbor's wife.
----
Ah, but what about coveting one's neighbor's wife's horse?!

Not yet owning my own endurance horse, there are a few horses that I covet.
I'm admittedly covetous when I volunteer at rides. At those times I -do-
become aware that I'm breaking the 9th Commandment. I kick myself into
continence, or at least try not to get copious drool on people's vet cards.

Longrider Jeremy James, in his amazing books "Saddletramp" (ride from
Istanbul to Wales) and "Vagabond" (ride across Eastern Europe)--*must reads*
for endurance folk--tells how Turks put evil eye charms on their horses. On
both his rides, he was given a charm for his horse, once in Turkey, once in
?? Bulgaria.
 The nearly universal middle eastern culture around the evil eye--prominent
in both the Islamic and Jewish religions and among Arabs in general--is as a
talisman protecting against other people coveting what you have, especially,
no doubt, your horse.
 I read the James books recently (also his "Byerley Turk"--a great, moving
novelized history of how the Thoroughbred foundation stallion/Ottoman war
horse got from Istanbul to England), studied up on the Evil Eye phenomenon,
& ordered a coupla dozen EE charms from Turkey. (Anyone on RC is welcome to
PM me w/ your #1 tip for endurance and I'll send you one of the extras, left
over from my Yule Sabbat gift list, while they last, for your horse.)

Beverley
Eclectic, washed neo-pagan quasi-wiccan of high priest Jewish atheist
descent raised by Irish and Italian Catholics & Episcopalians
---------
From the Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Commandments

These last two commandments govern private thoughts:

9. "Neither shall you covet your neighbor's wife"
10. "and you shall not desire your neighbor's house, his field, or his
manservant, or his maidservant, his ox, or his ass, or anything that is your
neighbor's."

Only the Roman Catholic and Lutheran churches separate the commandment
against coveting "your neighbor's wife" and his possessions into two
separate commandments, to create the 9th and 10th commandments. For other
Christians and for Jews, both are together in the 10th commandment. This
separation is necessary to create 10 commandments because the commandment
against making graven images (the Second Commandment of Orthodox and
Protestant Christians and of Jews) is for Roman Catholics and Lutherans part
of the first commandment.