[RC] Karen C. or Terri B. - jen

Karen, I lost my link to your very helpful web pages, so I was wondering about removing the heel strap in the new Epics.  Banjo and I did a 5 mile ride in them, on the backs only, shoes on front, with no wrapping or adjustments of any kind.  There was a small amout of hair rubbed off at the heel strap, so I decided to remove them, thinking if we go more than 5 miles this hair loss would turn into an actual rub.  Is this a correct assumption?  So when I tried to remove the strap I realized after taking it all apart that I would have to actually cut it to remove it.  Is this what you do?  Where do you make the cut at?  If all this info is already somewhere please let me know.  Thanks in advance.  If I can get this to work on the rears I am going barefoot for good.  I can't wait.  Oh also, when removing the boots I did not need a screwdriver to remove them?  does this mean they are not tight enough?  They stayed on even in mud that was deep enough to go over the top.
Thanks,
Jen and Banjo