[RC] something to share with you - Jennifer Adam

I just wanted to share something a trainer told me this morning. I thought you might be interested -
I have only owned horses for 8 years - took lessons, worked in barns, did internships, read, read, read! for years - but couldn't get my own until I got married and moved to a farm. I realize there is soooo much I don't know and I know I can learn a lot from people with more experience, so (as you all know) I ask lots of questions. The problem is I feel like I get so many different answers that sometimes I get confused and I don't know what is "right." I've been so afraid of making mistakes and screwing up my horses that sometimes I forget to listen to my own intuition because I'm so busy listening to more experienced trainers.

Anyway, I called a trainer I had done an internship with years ago and talked to him about it. I told him I'm trying to condition my own horse for endurance and I mentioned how worried I am about making mistakes. This is what he said (as close as I can remember):

"Being a good trainer is not about how many horses you can train or how fast you can train them or how much you can do without a bridle or saddle. Being a good trainer requires that you be a good horseperson first - and that means knowing what YOUR horse needs at any given time. It means knowing how to help your horse learn - it doesn't mean forcing him or trying to follow someone else's schedule. No matter how much you learn about training horses, you need to learn to listen to your own intuition before you can be a good trainer. You can know everything there is to know about horses and horse training (although such a thing is impossible anyway) and still mess up a horse because you didn't listen to what that horse needed on that particular day. If you have a training question, ask an endurance rider. They tend to be the best trainers because they are the best horsepeople. No matter how much "professional" experience they may or may not have, they are the best horsepeople because they take the time to know their horses. They know what their horses need at any time, on any given day - and they can help you learn the same about your own horses. They know that building a good and lasting relationship with their horse is more important than any training gimmick, schedule, or fancy trick."

Sorry this is so long - but thought you might appreciate his comments!
Jen Adam