From: Laney Humphrey <laneyhh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Jennifer Adam <jatatahoe1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
CC: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC]   probiotics?
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 20:47:10 -0700

Listen to your vet! Your horse is still a baby and he's had a lot of changes in his short life. You have nothing to loose and everything to gain by going slow with him. Grass and hay and lots of them, as well as lots of attention on the ground from you will produce the kind of horse you're hoping for before you know it. What's your hurry to get him saddled? He is the perfect age for lots of ground work. Believe me, the more of it you do now, the more you will thank yourself for years to come! I remember reading somewhere that an underweight horse starts adding fat internally before they start looking better on the outside. If that's true, it's another reason for being patient. His hair coat surely grew while he was under the stress of capture and holding. So he may not have a great haircoat til the next one comes in. It is hard to slow down, especially if you come from a show background but, as a Spanish Mustang owner, I can tell you that slow is way better than fast with mustangs. They are not horses that can be forced into a mold; they are very sensitive but rarely show it and they have unbelievably strong self preservation instincts. For all these reasons, do your horse the biggest favor of its life: go slow. Use this time to really get to know this special horse and figure out how to be a partner with him. The gift he will give you is to allow you to learn to shed the 21st century human demand for everything right now. As my farrier says, "be on horse time, take as long as it takes and you'll come out ahead." It's hard to do but if you can allow your horse to give you that gift, you will be rich for the rest of your life!
Laney