RE: Re: [RC] Older - heidi

Boy, I'm with you there, Barbara!  I've sailed uneventfully through at least three medical situations that would have been been either fatal or highly debilitating even 50 years ago, thanks to modern medicine.  And speaking specifically of the 60s, I've got a 1965 Ford truck with an old Hydrabed on it for hauling big bales, and there is NO COMPARISON between driving that thing and driving my Powerstroke.  I wouldn't even want to THINK about driving that '65 to an endurance ride pulling a trailer--and yet, when I started in the sport in the early 70s, I was pulling a '65 2-horse Miley with a '68 Ford...  And prior to that (during the 60s, since we got the Miley brand-new), for awhile my dad was pulling it with an Edsel.  We've come a long way, baby!

Heidi

The interesting part of this statement is....this is what people have been
saying for hundreds of years.  "The good old days" were better than the
present ones.  Sorry, I don't buy that one.  The simplicity of the past, in
some ways was better, but there are some things about the present that I
wouldn't trade for  ANYTHING.  Better health care comes to mind.  Imagine
living your life in fear of some dread disease that was incurable, or in
fear of bearing children with the possibility of dying in childbirth, or the
fear of losing half of the children you bore to the typical childhood
diseases that claimed so many.  NO THANK YOU!  We can simplify our lives if
we try....we don't have to get caught up in the confusion of modern life if
we work at it.  At least those of us who live in or near the rural areas can
do this.  I think a lot of the confusion of modern times is in our minds,
and we can avoid it with some effort on our part.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=