RE: [RC] Older - heidi

I'm just a shade younger, but not all that much--I was junior high and starting into high school in that era, but had older siblings who both graduated college in the 60s.  I saw the beginnings of the drug culture coming into the high school, and could see what a waste it made of the kids who tried it.  I was really proud of both of my siblings for navigating the 60s without getting into the flower child movement.  I had the standards of my depression-raised parents and the notion of just drifting without doing useful and self-supporting work was just way too bizarre for me.  I was busting my butt to get good grades so that I could earn college scholarships, and sure didn't want to mess with anything that might interfere with that.

I do love the music from the 60s, and I can vividly remember the Beatles making their big splash--that "long" hair that was almost down to their shirt collars, and in their early pics, they look like CEOs in major corporations today...  <g>  But it was a switch from the Brothers Four, which was my favorite group pre-Beatles, and I got to where I liked the "new" music.  My brother worked as a DJ from the time he was a freshman in high school, so the music was something I really noticed.

My biggest negative memory of the 60s was the fact that my brother was in the draft, and had an IQ just shy of Mensa, and could do virtually anything involved with technology--but being only 5'2" he couldn't be an officer.  (You could be a common soldier at 5' even, but you had to be 5'4" to be an officer...)  He ended up not getting drafted, which was a blessing, but it seemed utterly stupid (never mind discriminatory) that a brilliant brain in a body 2" too short could go be rifle fodder in Viet Nam instead of designing technology that might save lives.  God love the government...

I thank my lucky stars, though, that I dodged the whole flower child scene--not my bag at all.

Heidi

"...the other drugs were too scary so I am with you, Ed ..."

I owe it to my first girlfriend.  She got hooked on speed (prescription diet
aid (late 50's)).  The change in her scared me away from all the stuff
floating around:  "its only Pot, it won't hurt you...."   Sure, and if you
believe that I've got this bridge....
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=