[RC] Non-arabs thinking they're arabs/non-nutty show horses - RHONDA LEVINSON

Someone mentioned their mustang living with arabs and thinking he's an arab. I can say from my herd that this definitely happens! I have Walking horses, appaloosas, quarter horses and a paint living with my arabs. The non-arabs have started running with their tails in the air, snorting and blowing and prancing along with the arabs! Totally different than they were when they first came to live with us.

'Course my arabs are really quite mellow during ground work. Don't know precisely if that's because mellow is what I expect from them on the ground, or if it's the quarter and appy influence. My arabs are definitely NOT permitted to be nutty while being around humans.

I even expected the horse I had shown at halter to be very mellow in her regular halter. My trainer was great about training her to know the difference between the regular and the show halter. Even in the show halter, she knew when to be mellow. At one show when she was a yearling, she came ripping out of the ring, fire in her eyes, after winning the Jr. Championship. At little girl about four or five pulled away from her parents, came running up and wrapped her arms around the filly's front legs. The entire audience gasped. My filly stopped dead, dropped her head and began nuzzling the girl's hair. THAT'S what I expect from my arabs!

For the record, my mare looks like a performance horse and moves beautifully. She lost consistently to the big boys only. The judges actually placed her above the other tubey giraffe horses.

Rhonda