[RC] Cold Backed horse - rides2far

I was just talking to a woman who has a horse I *might* be tempted to
buy...just to help the horse and the woman out. Sounds like his big
problem is he's cold backed. He's a big horse, they say 15.2 and the
pictures look like they might be right. He's Polish Arab 13 years old and
his previous owner/breeder did lots of trail riding with him. She said as
far as on trails he's the best horse they have but doesn't pace well with
their TWH and wants to go too much. >duh< :-)

This woman bought him in a package deal with 2 Walking Horses which were
what she wanted. As near as I can tell she sounds nice but doesn't know
much other than to climb on the Walkers and go down the trail. The idea
that this horse needs saddled slowly and walked a little is way too much
work to them, she had never heard the term cold backed and just said "He
throws a fit if you tie him up and just saddle him up...you have to walk
him around and tighten it slow". If he's really as good as they say on
trail, the cold backed thing may be worth dealing with. Sounds like his
previous owner who rode him most might have known more. The man was 70
years old and sold the horses before moving to FLA. He still owns the dam
which they "used in some sort of pleasure & dressage classes". These
people don't ride him at all. They prefer the gaited horses.

I have dealt with cold backed horses before but never really heard a good
physical description of what's going on. Anybody care to explain? When
I've seen them react it seemed almost unintentional on the horse's
part...more of a reflex. She said his breeder lunged him awhile when he
saddled him.

This is a really big, strong built Arab that looks like he could carry a
heavyweight and has supposedly been hauled all over and exposed to
everything. She said he even did some endurance rides when he was
younger. She knew enough to say, "They had to wait till he was five and
Mr. Stewart didn't ride him, somebody else rode him for him". That would
have been around 98 and should have been in the database but I don't see
it anywhere. They rode him quite a bit in the mountains with these men on
him. Might be a pretty good base. They've been using a Tucker saddle on
him which if it's like the field trial model I saw has extremely long
streight bars that probably get into his shoulder.

If anybody wants to play with their pedigree research his name is Take
Tu. She was all confused about which name was what but the names she gave
me in his pedigree, up close were Star's Lookatu (which was supposed to
be his sire in Ohio) Naaja Black Star and MHA Trinity C

Bill just came in and said "No". But it never hurts to look. >G<

Angie