Re: [RC] unregistered pure-breds - Bette Lamore

I know this may be hard for some of you folks to believe, THERE ARE DISHONEST FOLKS OUT THERE! Once in a while I find them. If someone is buying a horse of mine on contract, I can do one of 2 things--- hold the horse hostage for the length of the contract until he/she is paid in full -- or give the horse to the buyer with no papers. Obviously buyers want their horse right away so we breeders oblige and the only thing we hold to guarantee payment, is the little piece of paper from AHA. Now if the person moves away or was far from me in the first place-- let's say out of state -- then if the person defaults and wants to resell MY HORSE as yet not fully paid for-- are any of you saying that this person should have the right to do so? I hope not! Yet it is hard to locate buyers frequently and even harder to take back a horse. It is difficult to extradite a prisoner across state lines-- imagine a horse with brands, Coggins.... Do you think the person you are "repo"ing the horse from is going to oblige with a health certificate.
Now what if this all happened a few owners back? I know you all feel so sorry for the new owner-- yet that person was aware the horse had no papers and should find out if they are available for a price BEFORE buying the horse if the papers are important to them.
I was stiffed on a breeding contract years ago-- the guy gave me nothing and I had trusted Peter because he had bred to Halynov before. Sooo my only leverage for EVER seeing that stud fee was the papers. Yet Peter was shrewd! He gave or sold the offspring to a very famous endurance winner. Now she came to me asking for the papers. What was I to say? She could promote my stallion just because of who she was..... so I signed over the papers with no exchange of money. This, however was my choice, weighing my options. She bred the mare and sold the offspring. Everyone made money except me. Now I just want to hear more talk about what's fair with papers. The horse does not suffer with or without papers -- he/she is totally unaware of the status -- the only one who makes a profit is the owner of the horse if they want to resell the horse for more or breed the horse. They can always go back to the holder of the papers and negotiate -- or if they have a legitimate point to make-- they can ask for a review by AHA -- that is how papers are obtained in the case of board bills, etc. In the case of the later, the boarding facility must prove in court that he/she is entitled to the papers before obtaining them. Somehow a new owner must prove that he/she is entitled to the papers.
Now there is my 2 cents worth from the viewpoint of a breeder. Also I should mention that I have been given sob stories from people of how they have always wanted a little horse of their own-- just to ride and love. They had no plans to ever sell the horse not breed same. IF that is true, then they don't need the papers and out of my wanting to have a horse get a good home and help this person get a horse, I have given them the horse --- then come to find out they want to sell the horse-- not give it to someone else to love-- the way I had-- but to get $$$ for him or her ---- NOT KOSHER! -- or to take $$$ off the offspring. They can always come back to me and renegotiate the "price" now that they want to make income -- and don't tell me about the fact they cared for the horse because I cared for the dam, the sire and foaled out (in the middle of the night usually) and fed, took care of, halter broke and many times trained the horse I gave away. This is not an isolated case with me-- happens to us horse breeders too frequently. What was that catchy phrase.... "I'm sick and tired and not going to take it anymore!" Now I'm getting off my bandwagon-- too early for this ;-)
Bette
PS When any of you have sold a car on time, have you given the pink slip to the buyer without the car being paid off. If that person runs off with your car and it is too much bother to go after them, do you hand over the pink slip to a subsequent owner for no $$$? Think of the registration papers as a pink slip in many cases.

Whispering Oaks Arabians
Home of Bunny and 16.2h TLA Halynov
who lives on through his legacy Hal's Riverdance!
http://www.arabiansporthorse.com

"Life is not  a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --WOW-- what
a ride !! "

Laney Humphrey wrote:

We may be talking apples and oranges here but there is a difference between a registered horse that's sold without it's papers and a horse that has never been registered. There is monetary value, as you say, to papers. Selling a horse without them is a kind of blackmail in my opinion and the one who suffers is the horse because it cannot be sold for it's true value. People value things they have to pay more for, so artifically lowering a horse's value opens the door to it getting into the hands of people who will undervalue, i.e., mistreat it.
Laney

Barb Peck wrote:

Angie mentioned she had 3 unregistered purebred (arabs) in her barn.

I have a question:
In my part of the country (NE) purebreds of any particular breed are sold cheaper without the papers.. sometimes there's a papered and non papered sale price. Then I've seen the papers travel with a horse thru several owners but no one wants to pay the extra $$ because the horse is over 2.

SO it's a $$ issue here..

Is the same where you are?
Barb