Re: [RC] half arab x arab cross - Laney Humphrey

Technically you are correct, Pauline, that there is a difference between a "half arab" and an "arab cross." The Arabian registry has a registry for "half arabs," which must have one one pureblood parent. I've kind of assumed that the AERC "arab cross" category is intended for non registered part arabs whose owners want to emphasize their "arabness" rather than whatever else they are. I think it would be useful, for good record keeping, if both sides of the "half" and "cross" had to be listed.
There are registries with offices for most breeds in the US and yes, some allow dual registration. Some registries are based on color so horses registered with some, but not all, of those can also be registered in a breed registry. The Mountain Horse registries (KY Mountain Horse, Mountain Pleasure Horse, Rocky Mountain Horse, etc.) all have very small differences between them and horses are frequently cross registered. On the other end of the spectrum are the 12 or so registries for varieties of Spanish Mustangs/Spanish Colonial Horses. These horses are all genetically closely related but differ in color or place of origin. All in all, its about as easy to understand as the Warmblood registries!
Years ago, comparatively few horses in the US were registered. That has changed but there are still many who aren't. The ancestry and bloodlines of many of those are known but, for various reasons, they are unregistrable.
As for age, I wouldn't doubt that a few underage horses slip through because some registries use Jan. lst as all horses' birthdays but others use the real birth date.
Laney

Pvan19@xxxxxxx wrote:
For me there is a def difference between a half arab ( one registered arab parent) and an arab cross which could have a little as 10% arab blood?
In France they've recently openend a new stud book called 'half arab' where horse with at least 50% arab blood can be registered - great initiative as these horses used to be registered under something equivalent to your 'grade ' horses from what I understand
all ride stats here can be picked off the internet and gives origines as well as stub book info - so some here have a great time working out % arabs/non arabs etc. started, finished etc.. quite interesting! Especially when you compare speed or pulsing down times by breed and/or sex and/or age
Is there a central registry office for each breed in the US? I get the impression you can register your horse with different organisations? Like in the question of age which came up a while back - in France the date of birth is on the horse's papers from the stud book ( and that includes a 'non determined breed' equivalent stud book) , not so in the US?
Pauline