[RC] Gaited Horses - Bruce Weary DC

I don't think that people who ride gaited horses have a chip on their shoulders any more than any other rider. I think people take pride in whatever breed they are riding, whether it be mules, gaited horses, Arabs, or drafts (which I have seen at endurance rides). I have been riding gaited horses in endurance for about four years now, and while the average gaited horse is at a genetic disadvantage over many Arabs, there are some who can do a bang up job. I predicted a couple of years ago that with the aging of our population (and the bad knees, hips and joint replacements that often accompany aging) we would see a steady growth of endurance riders on gaited horses, some of whom are just happy to be able to continue riding, and it is definitely happening. And, it's important to remember that when someone is fond of or promoting a different breed, it doesn't mean they are denigrating another.
Someone explained it to me this way one time: Amongst Arabs, probably seven or eight out of ten candidates could probably do endurance riding successfully. In another breed, say Tennessee Walkers, maybe only two or three could do it. This is probably true of many of the non-Arab breeds.
As I get older, the first three attributes I look for when choosing a new horse are: Safe, Sane, and Surefooted. Then I start looking at resting heart rates, feet, conformation, etc.,. I think we will see more of this as all of us riders get older. We evolve from "To Win is to Win," to "To Finish is to Win," to "To Participate is to Win," to " To Ride without Depends is to Win." I remember seeing George Burns on Johnny Carson one night, and Johnny asked George about his love life at the age of 90-something. Burns said "At my age, if a woman climbs into bed with me, she'd better be able to sing harmony." That's kinda how I think I'll feel about climbing into the saddle at that age. It will probably be on a gaited horse, and I just hope I don't fall off. Dr Q, world renowned shoulder chip remover