Re: [RC] Horses and climate adjustments - Ibiteraaarr

Actually Joe, horses that come from high humidity to low do have some degree of change to acclimate to.  I recently moved from New Orleans (hot, humid and 7 feet below sea level) to Rio Rancho, NM (hot, not humid, our elevation about 5600 feet above sea level). The altitude adjustment hasn't really played much of an effect on the horses the way it has us. However, the amount of humidity in the air took a good bit of adjusting to. For the first 5 weeks we were here, Loki had a boogery, runny, crusty nose. Vet said it's the same as people in that the lack of moisture dries out the sinus cavities. Even now, at 8 weeks since the move, I'll see a random blob of snot every now and then. I guess horses and humans share the capacity to have messed up sinuses when we go from moist air to dry. It didn't really hinder our conditioning, but it was not uncommon for him to spend the first few minutes of a ride with his head low to clear all the detritus, dust and mucous.

Liz Dorner
SW Region