RE: [RC] [RC] Horses and climate adjustments - Jennifer Adam

How do you make sure a horse has adjusted to a different climate zone? Is there a rule of thumb about how much time to allow for your horse to get used to a new climate?? I realize every horse is going to be unique and some will adjust faster or slower than others, but is there a guideline to follow when planning for rides that are a fair distance away and might be in a different climate?
Jen

From: heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: jlong@xxxxxxxx
CC: Jennifer Adam <jatatahoe1@xxxxxxxxxxx>, ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jody Rogers-Buttram <dragnin100@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [RC] Horses and climate adjustments
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 19:47:02 -0700

Due to the tremendous splenic capacity that horses have, they adjust
to altitude far more readily than humans, and have little difficulty
with it at all.?
?
I agree that the toughest is to go into high humidity coupled with
heat, if not acclimated to it.? Going the other way or going to
altitude are much easier.
?
Heidi

On Fri, 26 May 2006 11:17:56 -0700 (PDT), Jody Rogers-Buttram <dragnin100@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

think that horses from hot/humid less hilly areas, can go and acclimate
to altitude *better* than those from higher altitude, but dry, arid
conditions can come ride in hot/humid terrain.
> ?

?My personal thoughts and observation only.
> ?No
Truman, I have no stats to back that up. ? :))

I agree
100%, that has always been my experience. ?"Sea level" horses that
came
to the Races of Champions that were held at high altitude did
very well, and
that's been the case at such high-altitude rides as
the Big Horn 100 too.

Also, I believe that it takes at least six
weeks, and can be longer, for a horse
coming from a dry climate to
acclimate to high humidity. ?Conversely, a horse
coming from
high humidity into a dry climate doesn't seem to have
much
difficulty from day one. ?After all, it's easier for a
horse (or human) to cool
himself when the humidity is low, even if
it is very hot. ?I will caution,
though, that dehydration can
sneak up on you in low humidity, where you don't
"feel" the sweat
loss because it evaporates so quickly, until you're
already
dehydrated.