[RC] Red - Tom Sites

Shit Happens

Red was buried this morning with Red and White Peonies along side his neck.  There were tears by grown men and women.  There was Prayer.

The Facts...3 miles out of camp we split in 2 directions w/ the larger group of 5 searching out a 19 mile loop.  Jerry and Jim heading south on another loop.  15 minutes after we left them Red reared up and fell over dead on Jerry. Our GPS said we were traveling at 3.2 mph.  A Post was not performed.  It took the better part of the day for Jim searching for a backhoe to dig a hole.  When we returned Jim told us what happened and our resident local Paulita contacted someone who was doing the equipment work on her property which is near the Slate Lick Fields.  They took a trailer across jeep trail and Red was hoisted onto the trailer.  This morning he was burried.

The emotions...Jerry was in pain from his ribs, but the pain in his heart was worse and we all shared his pain, even the equipment operators.  Unless you have ever been in a situation like this before you can not imagine what its like to lose your first and best horse you ever had.

Aftermath...its still sinking in.  Those who know Jerry knows his dedication of the Trail,  and to have something like this happen on the Trail will not deter this dedication i am sure. But he will need your support for a time thru this tragedy.

As the Chairman of the Alternative Trail Committe of the OD let me say that this accident did NOT happen on the OD Trail but a Trail of 2 that is being searched out as possible Trails for the Organization.  This Trail has the benefits of Interstate closeness, Urban proximity and isolation.  The negative is its isolation.  I am grateful for Jim Barnett who i never knew and  grew to Love as Father i wish i had.  Matthew Mackay-Smith, John Proudman, Karen Deskins, Paulita Neff, Albert who came w/ Jerry from Indiana and of course Jerry Fruth.

With Love,
tom sites