Re: [RC] horse/dog question - Christina Schiro

Do not just turn around to face the dog, you have to chase the dog. Yelling also scare the dog away. As a horse's tendency is to run away, it really helps if you make this a "killer horse against the evil dog game" to get the horse's confidence up. If you horse injuries a dog, the owner may try and sue you, but good luck. There is such a thing as "vicious and dangerous dog" language in the most State Statutes's Animal Control Act. Check out this page at http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/speciesstatutes/stspdog.htm. Some states say you can kill a dog that is found not wearing a rabies tag. Or killing a dangerous dog (didn't have to actually bite you). Or the owner shall be liable for a dog worrying a domestic animal (such as a horse!)
I would rather allow my horse to kick a dog than take my chances with a charging dangerous-looking dog maiming me and my horse. Somttimes in a tight situation, you have to act now and ask questions later!

Mel Cochran <brio_gal@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ok-

I am about to start riding my horse on some dirt roads that are near my
place. There are lots of houses along the road with large aggressive dogs
running loose. My horse does not like dogs (nearly killed my JRT in the
pasture), but I am not sure how she would react to one chasing her while out
riding. I plan to turn and face the dog and turn the tables like many
people on here have talked about.

There are no leash laws in my county. If my horse's hoof was to interact
with an aggressive dog and the dog was injured, would I be liable for vet
bills/replacement cost even if I am on a right of way and not the dog
owner's property? I really think that my gal is a kick first ask questions
later type as far as dogs are concerned. I just don't want to end up in a
legal mess if she does connect with someone's dog.

Mel