RE: Re: [RC] Drooling Horse - heidi

I had a big TB cross mule present that way once...  He had a piece of wood lodged back there.  An old-time doc had taught me a slick trick in dogs, whose back molars seem to be a perfect fit for flat rib bones the way the supermarket cuts them--he would take a butter knife and slip it under the offending bone and use it as a lever against the incisors in front, and just pop those babies outta there!  I'd done that a few times for dogs, and had told people with gentle dogs how to do it over the phone at 2 a.m. a couple of times, so I looked around the equine area of the clinic to see what would be proportionate to a butter knife for a big mule.  I happened to notice the shoeing tools, including a rasp with one of those nice handles on it--and sure enough was able to stick the end of it up under the chunk of wood and just pop the durn chunk of wood out.  The mule was a good patient, too--and boy, was he happy to get that thing outta there!

Heidi

Once upon a time, long ago...my stallion whom I was very much in love with, and still am...came to me drooling and couldn't close his mouth.  I panicked, thinking he had somehow broken his jaw. Called the vet, who informed me over the phone not to get any saliva on me in case of rabies...now I'm really worried. I have it all over me...Vet arrived, examined him and found a stick wedged way back between his upper teeth!  Boy was I relieved. However, he couldn't get it out and I had to haul to a Lexington Equine clinic to have it removed. These vets were used to big fractious TBs so were quite impressed with my sweet little guy who stood stoically while 'the thing' was removed.
Wish I could clone the fellow, he is 29 this year...and still the sweetest horse on the place.

Jan
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=