[RC] red bag - Bette Lamore

I know quite a few of you breed out there and I just had a foal still born and yet the labor didn't appear to be unusually difficult -- we've had a lot worse yet all went fine. I just got info on what probably happened -- it is called Red Bag Presentation. Although my mare did not look anywhere near as bloody as the picture I was sent, Classie's placenta came out immediately following the foal, who was already dead at birth. Although Mark instinctively tried to help free up the foal as soon as he saw the nose (and broke/drained the bag) as he knew that Classie was having some difficulty, he could not budge the foal, and he has had plenty of experience freeing the shoulders. At 6'5" he has a lot of strength yet the foal would not release and he didn't want to tear anything-- the foal was obviously in a bad position. Classie got up a few more times and repositioned it and then it popped right out, however, the colt was already gone--- Mark even tried mouth to nostril resuscitation to no avail. I was still out of town and felt really bad for my husband who tried his best and did everything he knew how to do. As the article says, by the time you know it is red bag, it is too late to call the vet. Sometimes it is just too late.....
Hope others can benefit from this info.
Oh, since I can't send attachments on ridecamp, go to the following link for more info. http://www.arabiansporthorse.com/red-bag.html
Bette

--
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians

"Life is not  a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --WOW-- what
a ride !! "