[RC] joint swelling question - Alice Yovich

without trying to ask my question in too much of a long and involved way,
I'm curious about what causes there might be for joint swelling in an
otherwise healthy horse. Like a virus, toxic plant, etc.

Brief history:

My mare  has been recovering from EPM, is out 24/7 and has begun to appear
sound over the last few weeks. She finished her EPM treatment in Jan, but I
have been busy, so I just didn't ride  her much anyway, just letting her
heal and rest. She may have had an issue with this leg last fall as he
commented on it while we were dx the EPM, but I couldn't ever tell it was a
problem

Last Friday I decided to try out a saddle while I was waiting for the vet to
arrive. She was fine at the walk, but not so great at the trot. I rode for
10-20 min. before the vet came, so it wasn't a case of riding her hard after
no work. He was there for vaccinations, so I had him take a look at her and
he thinks that she has a problem with her fetlock and coffin bone in the
right front. She failed a flex test when he performed it.

I let him treat her by injecting her joints on that leg, but I've been
kicking myself ever since, wondering if I should have done something else
first. He said that he chose not to xray immediately b/c the cost would be
the same, double if the xrays indicated that joint injections were
indicated. He said I would see improvement in four days  if we had done the
right thing.

Of course, there are questions to be asked, and I will give more info as it
is relevant...I just didn't want to make this a book, which it could be.

Here is what I'm wondering though. Yesterday all her legs looked puffy to
me, except for the one he injected. Today they all look pretty normal to me
and she didn't look at as lame, though she was resting it forward when
grazing.

It seems like I have had a real run of bad luck lately. To add to it, my
daughter's pony has developed a terrible cough, which, of course, he
wouldn't perform for the vet on command.

gotta love it when a routine visit ends up being more. NOT!

Alice, Peter and Maggie
Region 4, Texas
http://stores.ebay.com/Equithreads-and-Things
www.equithreads.com