RE: [RC] riding with non-entered riders - heidi

And that scenario is precisely why there is a rule 6k.

The appropriate action would be to disqualify the rider who was riding with the non-entered pace horse, at the time that the infraction occurs.

Heidi

The LBJ Grasslands where the Bluebonnet ride is held, is indeed a very public, well used trail system. When events are held, be it the rides, or the 50 mile foot run, other users have full use of the trails, and camp area if they desire camping in such a busy area. I put out a sign this weekend that said Ride camp at the camping area entrance, in hopes weekenders would see that it was an event going on, not just a busy day. On the trail, we passed many pleasure riders during the day. Slowed down, said hello, and other pleasantries, then picked up the pace again.  In the camp area is a large metal trough, with windmill pumping water, and a pond. Again, very public place, with pleasure riders passing through, right next to pulse and vet check on the way to water their horses. Never any real problems with the pleasure riders except one who occasionally rides through the vet trot out area, not knowing any better. So yes, trails can be ridden by anyone during the ride.   Management fills about 8 troughs near the big windmill trough constantly all day for scooping water on horses and cooling them down with a pump in the pond. Keeps a volunteer pretty busy with 130+ horses entered on a hot day.(this leads to another issue in a min.)  So, while riding, I did see an entered rider pass, with a rider whose horse did NOT have a number on it's hind end. It was obvious they were riding together. My riding partner asked if they were both in the ride. Reply was yes, from entered rider, but when questioned on lack of number on other horse, rider said "well, she is just riding with me". We explained that was a rule infraction, and they could not do that. At that moment, the non entered riders was ahead 75', with entered rider following. We explained pacing etc. etc., and why it was not allowed.   When we got in to camp for our vet check, I see non-entered rider cooling horse down from troughs filled by volunteer, and checking pulse of own horse. Very obvious this person is somewhat interested in how the horse is doing, but my gut feeling was, did NOT want to pay entry fee to actually "compete". Oh, the entered rider I heard came in "top ten" on the LD ride......... So, public trails or not, this was indeed a rule infraction. Did the rider know they were not allowed to do this? I'm not sure. Someone just sent me a note they saw some other entrants at the ride, riding along with non "numbered" horses.

On non-public trails, I can see this as an insurance liability. Also, I can see if allowed, how those who want to really "race", might try to have friends positioned along the trail with fresh horses, to ride along with, to keep the entered horse company, and mentally cheerful to move along, possibly giving it an advantage over other entrants without "friends" to ride with.

Jonni
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=