Re: [RC] Question for the vets...or anyone?? - Laney Humphrey

Here are some more thoughts:
1. I checked http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp
to see what I'd find. I've found that checking this website is usually a good idea when presented with vague and vaguely scary information. As you can see, there seems to be far more and far more reliable evidence that asparatame (nutrasweet) is just fine for humans. Of course, horses aren't humans and there might be a small chance horses would react differently than people. In that case, find a brand that doesn't use aspartame. Horses don't need it sweetened anyway.
2. I heard a description yesterday of the type of behavior that gets rumors such as aspartame having bad effects started. It's called "superstitious behavior." Everyone does it all the time. Something bad happens - I fall and sprain my ankle. I've recently been using Metamucil which I've never had to use before. Therefore, "the aspartame in the Metamucil caused my bones/muscles to get weak causing me to fall."
In other words, humans love to associate events and actions that really are nothing more than coincidence, partly because we feel happy when we can find cause/effect. Apparently lots of folks are claiming that aspartame is causing an "epidemic" of MS, Lupus and other nasty diseases. Not true. IMHO what's really happening is that our diagnostic capabilities for these diseases has increased & more people are getting better medical/diagnostic care therefore more cases are being discovered early making it appear like there are more cases when all it really is is better diagnostics.
The same is true for our horses: vets have far better diagnostic tools than ever before and a lot more knowledge. So it seems like there's a whole host of new equine diseases. Nope. Just the ability to put names to stuff that's always been there.
Laney

Ibiteraaarr@xxxxxxx wrote:
I've always used Metamucil as an alternative to Sand Clear with no problems, but I was recently informed by a non-horse person who worked for a small animal clinic that Metamucil and the similar generic products use Aspartame, which builds up in the body as alcohol over periods of time and has detrimental effects. Is this true?
Best Regards,
Liz Dorner
SW Region