[RC] breakins/safety issues - Kathie Ford

Well this is all good discussion. But after hearing about my friends truck taken and the dogs let out, TWO dogs, I not sure if that would really be a good deterent at this point.  Our dogs could be hurt as well if these punks were determined to do what they have been doing. ?Dogs can be shot, stabbed, hit etc, basically hurt.  I would feel horrible if something happened to my dogs, especially if they tried to protect my property.

But we have to do something at this point as a group or groups, to let them know we are all on to them and watching.  I think the idea about signs, BIG signs is a good idea.  Also, I myself would be more than willing to take a turn or so sitting in a staging area in a conspicious place and keeping a look out, ready to get a license ID or description etc.

In my old neighborhood we set up a "neighborhood watch".  We shared each others contact information, and would jot down license plates and descriptions of ANYONE suspicious or acting that way.  OR, better yet anyone never seen in our neighborhood before. The police were very helpful and appreciated the assistance very much and we eventually never had any trouble at all.  A few times we caught kids in the middle of the night stealing stuff out of our cars.  They had no idea they were being watched and the police were called.  BAM!  We got em!

In our endurance community a lot of us know each other either by name or sight...so maybe we could pick out individuals who just didn't look like they belong there and jotted down some info just in case.

Also, my husband suggested to me to put in a "kill switch" under the hood of your car.  This device prevents the car from being started and taken. He said it might crank over but will not start, thus thworting the thugs plans if that was their thought.  I mention this cause that is what happened at Drivers Flat.

Personally, I've learned to never bring a purse with me, but wear a nice flat, comfy fanny pack and just carry my license, a few dollars, keys (don't have a cell phone unfortunately).  So there is nothing in my car of value.

My husband also suggested a locking pin on the trailer hitch.  THis would work well with the kill switch in the car.

Oh, on the kill switch idea, just remember to put it in a place where it is not obvious, and one would have to spend some time locating it which I don't think theives would want to do.  And...then, don't forget you have one!

One other idea, drop a maxed, or cancelled credit card on the ground by your vehicle, as if by accident, but not.  If the thugs chose your vehicle, found the card, tried it, they could be caught or at least ID' via camera in a store or bank.    Might sound silly, but could work.

At this point we have to do something.

Oh, I also heard word thru a credible source that the authorities have found some stolen items in a part of Sacramento several times.  So hopefully they will zero in on these guys.

Well, just some thoughts to share.  This is getting really bad and something needs to be done.  I also think a meeting is a good idea as well.  Is anyone else attending?

cheers, and keep safe,

kathie