From: Susan Favro <susan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: AERCMembersForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; PNER@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 23:05:46 -0700
Subject: [RC] What does "bonding" with a horse mean to you?

I was talking with a trainer friend of mine this evening and we got to talking about the different buzz words that clinicians are using these days. One term that came up was the word "bonding." The more we discussed it the more we realized that even between just the two of us, there was a lot of variation on what our picture was of the relationship between a bonded human and their horse. It was a fun and enlightening discussion.

So what's your take on it? If your horse is well trained and responds to you, is that bonded? Or is it that the horse runs across the pasture when you come into view? Is it leadership on your part? Or is it submission on the horse's part? Or is it because you feel like you and your horse are a "herd of two"? Does it mean your horse will be more human-like and you will be more horse-like? Is it the same type of relationship you have with a dog?

Assuming there are a variety of folks on Ride Camp, PNER and AERC who may belong to one but not the other forums, I'm going to post this on all three forums.

.S
Susan Favro
Healthy As A Horse Network
"Innovative effective products for the conscientious horse owner"
Voice - 406.864.8000
Fax - 559.272.6093
Mobile - 406.370.6399
E-mail - Susan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx