[RC] Rug Proof - wendy mancini

Rain sheets - savior & nemesis.  With no shelter in my fields, rainsheets are the savior that allows me to leave my boys out except for the worst of night time weather.
    I have used Nikwax rugproof  & also CampDry spray.  Bottom line, new sheets only get washed in cold water, no detergent & line dry.  When they are past that point you have to follow the nikwax directions exactly - Hot water, soak & then dry in the dryer.  I then spray with Camp Dry.  So far, max life of waterproofing this way is 4 years.  A sheet costs about $100.  When I figure the time of cleaning stalls & the $$ for bedding, I think I get my money's worth.
    I would not spend the money for things like "extreme turnouts".  Let them grow a coat & if it's that cold use polertec under a standard rain sheet.  The sheets are much more useful.  I use them for windblocks when the temps are below 20 with strong north wind & use them at rainy rides at night even in the summer.
    I  have taken the old ones, cut them & made my own neck covers & a face cover for the one Arab(he hates the rain,esp. on his face)
    I'm open for others ideas/uses.
Wendy in NJ