[RC] 100's again - WRSINOSKY

Bruce Weary wrote, " On the other hand, if you "take a whack" at a 100,
knowing you could bail well short of the finish line and still go home
with some lovely parting gifts, could that also influence the intensity
of your training and focus? My point is, a horse that is trained
lackadaisically but is asked to complete the entire 100 miles might
suffer compared to the horse that was trained more thoroughly with a
definite intent on finishing."

I have to hand it to Bruce, he always makes his point so clear. And I'm in total agreement with him. In this world today, we are always trying to be nicer, constantly changing the rules so nobody gets their little feelings hurt.  Jeez.....

Swallow your enormous pride, realize you couldn't cut it, fall back and try it again. Spend the time it takes to condition your horse. That's what makes a good horseman as well as a good human being with character.

I can't begin to count the number of failures and bad decisions I've made over the years. But they all played a part in forming who I am today.

Why haven't I tried a 100? Well, probably because I have yet to do a 50. And all this last year, alot of people were pushing me about doing a 50, when in my gut I knew I shouldn't do it with Doimas. Did he have the stamina and conditioning to finish a 50? Yes. And I can say that without hesitation.

But I also was aware he had had stone bruises and kept going lame for unknown reasons.  Until that problem was resolved, there was no way I was taking him out to do 50 miles. I'd already had him go lame at one ride during a 30 and had to walk him over two miles over very bad trail to where a trailer could get us out.  Why would I jeopardize him in such a fashion just to do a 50?

When and if the time is right, yes,  I want to do a 100.  And I will find someone I'm comfortable with to be my mentor for such a ride.

Cindy Edwards
Buckeye, AZ