Sent: Saturday, January 14, 2006 8:11 AM
Subject: [RC] de-elevators, elevators

All of the philosophical comments on 100's - enduring, all or nothing, etc are probably the same objections that were expressed when the idea of 'elevator' rides was proposed. Maybe that's why elevator rides are so rare. The concept of a 'de-elevator' is no different from 'elevator' - you do your 100 mile ride 50 miles at a time, either way. Either way, at 50 you can say enough. Either way, if you finish the 100 the achievement is no less for having had the option to stop at 50. It's still 100 miles, still an amazing feat, still riding with your friends in the dark, etc, etc. The only difference between the two is in the Points awarded.
If you sign up for an 'elevator 100' and complete the 100 you only get full points for the 50 mile portion, the 100 is miles/completion only.
If you sign up for a 'de-elevator 100' and complete the 100 you only get full points for the 100 mile completion if you stop at 50 its miles/completion only. (as I understand the proposal)
Otherwise they are basically the same animal, the proposal is really just adjusting the way the 'elevator' ride is implemented.
Maybe rather than trying to grasp what some see as a new and 'dumbing' concept, we should simply look at the proposal as a change in the way elevator completions are viewed.
Maybe 'de-elevator' is a poor choice of words :)

Steph