Re: [RC] Tent Camping & Safety - Diane Trefethen

Hi Linda,

I noted your advice about situating one's tent and think that it makes eminently
good sense. Prudence is a desirable commodity and taking precautions that cost nothing and might save a lot of pain is always prudent. Nevertheless, the tone of the original poster was, in my opinion, unduly alarmist and I believe your experience of encountering one instance of this problem in "21+ years" demonstrates my point.
Be prudent, be reasonably careful, but I think juxtaposing "a severely lacerated liver" and "all snug in your sleeping bag, in your ultra-lite tent" in the same post is over the top. I was at a Swanton ride when a tired rider put a sheet on her horse who was standing right next to its portable corral and inadvertently the cinches went over both horse and panel. She attached the cinches and as soon as the horse took a step, it realized that the corral was coming with. The horse panicked, bolted and dragging several sections of corral, desperately tried to get away. I was parked at a 90 degree right angle to someone else's trailer and this horse came through, lept the trailer's tongue and leaving the remaining panels wedged thereon, continued off stage right. Is this tale a caution against porta-panels or sheets? Of course not, and I would never post it as a warning against using either. I use it here as an example of something that CAN happen but doesn't usually and therefore no more warrants serious consideration as a reason not to use a portable corral than a loose horse stepping on you in your tent warrants serious consideration as a reason not to use a tent.

PS: I am very glad you weren't in your tent when it got nailed.

Linda S. Flemmer wrote:
Diane,

Mike & I have camped in a tent at rides for the last 21+ years.  Fortunately
we weren't in the tent at the time, but a lose horse DID run over our tent
some years ago.  Our only casualty was the tent and my overnight bag, thank
goodness.