[RC] Horse with uneven neck muscles & behavior problems - Claire Nystrom

I have an 8 yo. foundation QH who has given me nothing but
difficulties since I bought him 3 years ago.  I always attributed his
problems to having been bottle raised, never disciplined until the age
of 5 and used as a stallion.  He has a sweet personality but is
extremely mouthy.  His previous owners had tried to start him under
saddle, but got bucked off every time.  I managed and have done a lot
of trail riding on him.  He has always been really sensitive about his
face and even though I've tried every bit, I have not been able to get
him to accept one so ride him in a bitless bridle.  I have had his
teeth done regularly and he does not seem to have any issues there.  I
ride him primarily with seat cues and leave his face alone (unless
there's an emergency and I have to use the reins).  After a recent
violent explosion (rodeo bucking fit), it finally dawned on me that
something might be wrong with him.  Every time he does this I have had
to go back to the beginning and re-start him under saddle.  It's a
long slow process.  He has also exploded seemingly out of the blue.
Generally, he will toss his head a little then go straight up in the
air and come down bucking violently.  Examining carefully, I found
that the muscle at the top side of his neck that joins behind the ear
is uneven-- there is a large bulge on the right side and not the left.
I am thinking that this may be the source of his problems.  I am
going to have a chiropractor come look at him and hopefully it's
fixable and he can become the sweet, kind horse he's destined to be.
I feel awful as I'm sure this problem was the reason his previous
owners were unable to start him under saddle.  I guess I just didn't
think anything could be terribly wrong with him as he hadn't been
ridden before I got him.  He is otherwise completely sound and
healthy.  I was just wondering if anyone had had problems similar to
this with their horse and what their take on the situation might be.

Thanks very much,
Carol