RE: [RC] Horse with uneven neck muscles & behavior problems - Rae Callaway

Have you tried chiropractic?  I have a mare that was a little extra cresty
on one side of her neck and had a habit of bolting over people when being
led and unpredictable (lazy, then explosive) under saddle.  We kind of gave
up on her as a riding horse, but then one day, she started short striding in
the front.  I took her to a chiro and turns out she was out of whack in many
places.  The vet said that the larger muscles on one side of her neck
indicated a long-standing pain issue.  She was adjusted and we started light
exercise.  The change in her has been amazing.  She not only became a good
riding horse, but actually seemed to like being ridden and not just at the
"dead horse walking" speed.  I leased her out to a high-schooler and she
started doing LD's.  This mare seemed to really enjoy that too - especially
the being able to eat hay 24/7 at a ride (her stomach is the most important
thing in the world to her!).  They were looking to move up to 50's when the
girl had to back out due to school issues.
 Anyway, my point is - have a chiro look at the horse.  It might be a long
standing pain issue.  As for the mouthy bit - I'd like to know anything you
get on that issue.  I have an almost 6 year old stallion here that left my
barn when he was 6 months old to go to a trainer's.  He was brought back by
his owner a couple of months ago and also doesn't seem to have been taught
much in the way of mouthy manners.  He's extremely head shy, so I feel they
may have done the "hit 'em hard" method of no-bite training.  He's a good
boy in other aspects, just seems to think he needs to bite us before we hit
him.

Rae
Tall C Arabians - Central