[RC] 100's again - Bruce Weary

Some more thoughts about 100 milers and other challenging things: I am respectful of most everyone's reasons for participating in the sport of endurance. Heck, it's an exercise in endurance just to read my posts sometimes, I imagine. But in the strictest sense, modifying the way in which rides are put on (special rules for elevating, de-elevating, credit for partial completion,etc.,.) to suit the personal reasons of each individual participant is unrealistic if not impossible. The Boston marathon attracts thousands of runners each year. ( I used to run, but I have a guy that does that for me now.) Those runners have a myriad of reasons for participating: endorphin release, personal goals, fitness goals, awards, overcoming a disability, raising charitable funds, testing their mettle, whatever. The marathon committee simply puts the race on, unable to shape or modify the marathon based on the preferences or goals of the runners themselves. They don't move the finish line a few miles closer, give partial completion awards, soften the running surface, or worry at all about the pocketbooks or mental health and well being of the hundreds of individuals who don't meet their particular goal that day. I guess they presume we can handle a little disappointment in our lives from time to time. Even when we've tried hard. In fact that ability may very well be a sign of mental health. There is no pressing effort that I know of to remove the top 10,000 feet of Mt Everest so that more climbers can reach the summit.
As far as the horse is concerned, I think there is potential for harm to the horse in the de-elevation idea that was offered in an earlier post. If you had a compelling reason for finishing a 100 miler, let's say they're going to repossess your house if you don't finish in the allotted time with a fit sound horse, would that influence how you would train, and what mindset you would arrive at the starting line with? I think so. On the other hand, if you "take a whack" at a 100, knowing you could bail well short of the finish line and still go home with some lovely parting gifts, could that also influence the intensity of your training and focus? My point is, a horse that is trained lackadaisically but is asked to complete the entire 100 miles might suffer compared to the horse that was trained more thoroughly with a definite intent on finishing.
The fear of attempting a 100 miler, I believe lies partly in the fact that until you have done one, you are unable to "see" yourself actually completing one, in your mind's eye. I suggest reading as much as you can, and talking with those who have succeeded, and practice visualizing yourself finishing the ride. The mind react to things vividly imagined just as it does to reality. That's why we enjoy movies, and can "think" our way to high blood pressure and ulcers. Let's not move the goal closer to us. Let's move ourselves closer to the goal. Eventually the two will meet. Bruce Weary