Re: [RC] Update: Tall Riders on Short Horses - Kari Hanes

Karen,
I'm 5'7" and ride a 14-1 hh mare. I've had some "show" friends tell me I needed a larger horse, looked to big for her, why don't you get a QH, etc. If your husband is comfortable on the horse and the horse LIKES him - then tell him to go for it! My mare and I are best buddies and I wouldn't trade her for anything! I treat her with respect and she takes care of me down the trail.
Kari
Montalee Arabians

Karen Casemier wrote:

Well, my husband rode Mazzie and absolutely LOVED her. He looked absolutely fine on her, and after spending two years on his Quarter Horse, really appreciated her natural forwardness and responsiveness. She did really well with him as well - she has a very high opinion of herself, and I think she prefers a less experienced rider who doesn't expect to call all the shots ;>) Mazzie and I are like sisters - we love each other dearly but boy can we drive each other crazy. A major part of that is because we are so much alike (both very sensitive and emotional). My husband is neither of these things, and I think because of that, they make a very good match.

So we will now be finding a new home for Comet with someone who can give him the time, attention, and training he deservies, and hopefully I will find myself a sane, sound, and small endurance candidate and see you on the trail this summer!