Re: [RC] Tents vs LQ - Kara Henry

Hi Mel,

It's probably clear by now - you will never be alone! I suppose it depends upon what region you're in/time of year. But at least in the NW tents are pretty common. Sick and twisted as it is, I see myself as a "tent lifer"... doubt I'll ever be motivated to move up to a LQ. You mention:
> I am an avid backpacker and have all of the gear I need. I actually like
> sleeping in a tent!
I love hiking & backpacking too. You'll probably prefer the tent to any other option. I know I do! Even the cold rides, then it's just a fun adventure. I laughed at some other comment on here about the "tent idiots" and references to how cold it was at the Oregon high desert ride in Oct. There were a few village idiots there ;) .... myself included. I never even bothered to turn on my (still unused) BlackCat tent heater. It's gotta get down to at least single digits before I fire up that puppy. I bring two sleeping bags - sleep in the one rated to zero, and on top of another for cushion/insulation from the ground. Plus those cheapie knit gloves, a good hooded sweatshirt & ski cap. I'm always comfortable and love it. Even having to setup on the asphalt at one ride turned out to be just fine. The summer tent camping here is glorious!

I've had only ONE night at a ride where I cursed my tent. Last year at the Dunes where we were lashed with monsoon-like rains both nights. By the second night, tired after a wet 50-mile on a new horse and unfamiliar saddle, I found a leaking rain fly and a big puddle atop my sleeping bag. Ooooo.... that was one night where I was grateful for generous friends with LQ's!

Go for it Mel - you'll have a great time. Tent camping in an often-gorgous ridecamp, falling asleep listening to your pony munching away... just can't beat it IMO. The camping is actually one of the things I most look forward to about ride-season!

Kara