Re: [RC] Tents vs LQ - Cheryl Ann

Another truck tent camper here. I have used one for three years now, and
also have it rigged to an additional 10x10 canopy which has a tent insert,
so in effect I'm using two tents. My truck is a Dakota Quad, hence the truck
tent is small, I needed the extra room.
I don't like to use the trailer for sleeping, because I like to have it
accessible to my horse if she needs it.

In warm weather, I'll use a chaise lounge for sleeping, so I have storage
underneath, but in cold weather, I'm on the floor of the truck bed for
warmth. It is Line-X'd, and I put down a 1" Home Depot mat, and then a
carpet remnant atop that. Next, the sleeping pad and bedding, etc. I cut my
carpet remnant to fit both the floor and the walls of the truck bed, and it
works great. I also have a piece of carpet across the lowered tailgate.

I have a heater, but I never leave it run when I'm sleeping. I've always
been nice and cozy. My truck tent has never leaked, however I still carry an
extra tarp which I will put over the fly in cold rainy/snowy weather. I have
the canopy tent attatched to the truck tent at a right angle, obviously
because of the trailer. I have my cowboy shower divided off in a corner and
I use Coleman's 'Hot Water On Demand', which I love, btw. I can unzip the
windows in the canopy tent, or remove the sides even. I bought extra tent
fabric and fashioned it so I can access my canopy tent directly from my
truck tent w/out having to step outside, and have a piece of pwood for the
trailer frame as a step (down from the tailgate).

I love sleeping in a tent, too, and have no plans for a LQ, and couldn't
haul it anyway... I can pack the whole set-up into my truck bed (*little*
truck bed). Camp takes me about 45 - 60 minutes to set up. And when I get
home, after pony is taken care of, trailer unhitched, etc., I open the
garage door, back up at about 35 mph, slam on the brakes and walla... truck
all unloaded now : )