Re: [RC] Race of Champions - Jody Rogers-Buttram

I agree also.   There were lots of things about the ROC that made people want to go, and unlike the FEI rides, I think that the ROC was the "best of the best" coming to compete, but with the chance that the "common mans horse" could come in and run with the big dogs.  It wasn't a requirement that you join the elite group by paying your club membership.  I am not knocking the ablities of the FEI horses/riders, just stating that is not as appealing to the common, everyday endurance rider.   I consider myself to be a very ordinary endurance rider and I have NO wanting to go to FEI rides.  The old ROC was the Olympics to endurance in its day.  I miss it, but have my ROC buckle !!!!!  And lots of wonderful memories from it.  And yes, the ROC made a huge difference in the amount of entries we had in 100's.  You had to top ten those puppies, and so therefore, going to plenty of them to get your qualifications, against everybody else that was trying to qualify.  Heck, one year I qualified 3 different horses, only one of which actually made it to the ride.

Jody and the girls

Ridecamp Guest <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Please Reply to: Naomi Preston mustanglady@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I agree with Dot.....lots of riders wanted to qualify for ROC, and you wanted to get enough hundreds with your horse so you could qualify. I also agree that all the marketing/hoopla/prizes was a draw......but I think the REAL draw was competing with the best 100 mile horses/riders from all over the country, on a TOUGH trail. You KNEW the trail was going to be demanding. Personally, that's enough for me.....and I would guess lots of competitive riders would agree. It's not the "frills", it's the quality of the ride and the competition.
Just MHO
Naomi