[RC] Recognition Programs - KimFue

What is wrong with honoring (recognizing) horses that compete at the 100 mile distance?  Isn't that what a medallion program really does.  Personally, I think that this type of program might be an incentive to make 100s a goal.  But even if not one new hundred mile rider comes from this....so what.  What a recognition program says is that as a group, from our peers and fellow riders, our organization, AERC, believes that horses that are able to go 100 miles are not ordinary in this sport....they are special.  Is there anyone out there that really believes that it is no big deal to do 100s? Does anyone really believe that a horse that completes 10 100s has accomplished the same feat as a horse that completes 10 50s.   Don't the facts show that completion rates for the 100 mile distance are significantly lower then other distances including multidays.  Is there anybody out there that believes getting a horse ready to do a 100 mile ride takes the same dedication and commitment as getting a horse ready for a 50?  If it takes longer and more to prepare and make a successful 100 mile horse and that owner/rider is willing to take the risk of earning fewer miles, fewer completions, and lower the probability of earning regional, national, and lifetime mileage awards why is it wrong to recognize or honor the horse/rider team that is successful.

I know that most riders doing 100s get the most reward from the experience of the 100 itself.  I know that the experience on the trail far surpasses any award that could be earned.  I understand that those riders and most don't need blankets, medallions, and belt buckles to continue competing at the 100 mile distance.  But, as their peer, fellow endurance rider, and AERC member, I want a way to honor those accomplishments of the 100 mile horse/rider.  I want a way to say ...."I really respect what you and your horse have accomplished.  I may never ride, enter, or finish  5 100s on my horse.  I may never even make it to the start line of a 100 mile ride, but I honor your accomplishments.  That is what a recognition program does....it give the group a way to say "Job Well Done!!".  It is not really about giving out medals, blankets, and belt buckles.  It is time that AERC gives its members a way to honor 100 mile horses (and of course, indirectly their owners/riders).  Right now, I don't see anything in place through AERC that does this.  I am really glad that there is a motion on the table that might remedy this.

It is funny that I have read posts that claim that doing two hundreds is no big deal so why "recognize" this to 100s are so overwhelming for the majority of riders for a wide variety of valid reasons that most will never attempt them and the number of 100 mile entries are dropping.  The reality is that this shouldn't matter when it comes to finding a way to honor 100 mile horses.  If 100s are really the pinnacle of this sport,  why not find a way for the membership to recognize the achievement their peers/fellow riders are accomplishing.

Kim Fuess
AERC #6648