[RC] 100 milers - Bruce Weary DC

My wife Dayna and I have done several 100 mile rides over the years, and we feel that they are favorite endurance endeavour. There are so many things to attend to and details to iron out to prepare for the ride. But once you're out there, often in the remotest and sometimes most beautiful terrain you will ever see, it's all worth it. Dayna says she feels that the ride hasn't really begun until night falls. She loves riding in the dark and enjoys the peace and the stars. We did one of Randy Eiland's 100's last year, and the last several miles of the ride, she made me dismount and walk in on foot so that we didn't finish in the daylight. She didn't want to be cheated out of her "night riding." There are so many appealing things about 100's. It drives your friends crazy to think you are fit enough to do such a thing and they aren't. You can brush up on your sleep deprivation tolerance. You can see so many things in the dark that aren't really there. You can form a rash where you never thought possible. You can have a vet check your horse at 2:00 am without him ever having to leave his warm camper. You can bury your face in your horse's mane at the end of the trail and thank him profusely. And you can have your first beer at dawn to toast the new day, revel in your accomplishment and drop off to sleep not really minding every ache and pain you so deserve. Bruce Weary