Re: [RC] How did [I] get [Ended]? Bucked Off! Advice? - Stacy Sadar

Beverley,

Ed is right about how to ride it out.  Just take a look at the cowboys riding a bucking bronc...sitting back with long legs and feet forward.  It really will keep you on.  The second you shift forward you have a chance of being thrown off if you can't rock back in time for the next one.
All this is coming from VERY recent experience, I know!

It must have been something in the air on Saturday...
My usually calm 5 year old had a mental breakdown right at the beginning of the ride...I mean 10 minutes into it.  We were still in the field waiting for someone else to finish tacking and mounting.  Another horse was acting up and all of a sudden, the bucks, the spins, the crow-hopping, the "I'm not stopping no matter what you do", then the rear when I tried to pull his head up to stop the buck!!!!  All this with me yelling & screaming every name in the book and it echoing off the barn!  This went on for a good 8 minutes...not just 8 seconds!  When the one-rein stop didn't work and he was just making smaller circles faster and all the other fixes in my check-list failed, I decided it was time to bail.  That was enough.  He can chill out without me on his back.  After I bailed off, he took off running in a big circle, slid on the ice, fell, jumped back up and looked for me with a look of "ow that hurt! MOM!!! Where are you?"  Then came trotting over to me and he was totally shaking.  I think I scared him even more by bailing off, but I'd reached my limit of bucks, rears, etc.  He's fine.  I'm fine.

Did I get back on?  Not right away.  I was ready, but he was not.  I could tell in his eyes that he was still freaked out.  I lead him down the trail...a small loop, about 10 minutes or so.  Once I got back to the trailer, I had someone hold him with a lead line...just in case, but not hold him tight or anywhere else.  Mounted, and rode the same loop this time.  He was much calmer and actually more relaxed with me on him then leading.  He's fine now, but we are going back to the basics tonight (in the arena) and working on things like a one a one rein stop!

As for it happening to you, he may have just been in a mood of some sort, the change of the weather, him being cooped up, you never know.  It very well could have happened to the owner too.  I have one horse that in 11 years of owning him, never bucked until last year when I would let him run.  He bucked forever that day..or at least that's what it seemed.  But, by golly he was going to walk if I wanted him to or trot if I wanted him to, not canter or gallop just because that's what he wanted!  I guess that's what we get for having smart ones who can think and determine what they feel like doing and decide to challenge us all the way.

Don't feel bad, don't over-analyze it and please don't get back on if you don't feel comfortable doing it, just because someone else tells you to get back on.  Thirty years of riding and I still get off or don't get back on when my gut tells me.  Saturday, I was feeling comfortable to get back on...I don't think my riding buddies really wanted me to get back on.  Most were already backing out on riding at all...but they eventually decided to ride.

Take care,
Stacy

"Beverley H. Kane, MD" <sensei@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I?m nursing a severely bruised ego this morning and NSAIDs aren?t helping.
(Press 1 to skip this message and get to Questions.)***

Yesterday I got bucked/bailed off for the first time!

The situation was: I was riding someone else?s horse, I?ll call him Miles, whom I?ve ridden before and who is a lovely Tevis veteran.
The owner rode him out and I was riding him back, as we were taking turns trying out a new saddle on the horse I rode out on.
It was cool and drizzly, and the once familiar trail was bizarrely decked out in post-storm detours, fallen trees, puddles, police tape, and killer cones.
The other 2 horses were having ?issues? during the ride?1 spooking and 1 impatient to keep moving out.

About 2 miles into my turn, Miles wanted to canter. I held him back, as they are generally not allowed to break gait til the leader says so. He got off 2 big bucks and then I bailed, for a controlled landing on grass. (Found out later that this was his usual cantering stretch, so he was programmed to GO!---but he?s never bucked before!) I was pretty sure the bucking was due to our altercation over gait, but I also thought something might be sticking into him or he just wanted me off or...who knows what? Decided not to let Blue Cross figure out what.

After retrieving Miles from a near-runaway situation, I had to decide whether to re-mount or ask the owner to ride him. I felt duty and honor-bound to get back on Miles, but was a bit shell shocked and so did the wussy thing and switched back to the horse I rode out on. Miles was good as gold on the way back (during which he was allowed to canter part of the way).

Physically undamaged, I kept a stiff upper lip for the rest of the ride, the post-ride socializing, and the 2 hr drive home. Then 3 hrs after I got back I started sobbing hysterically on da hubby?s shoulder?so I knew I better deal with it and try to minimize the chance of it happening again.

***Questions--
  1. What is your favorite way for riding out bucks (body position)?
  2. How do you tell if a horse will keep on bucking or settle down?
  3. What is your favorite way to stop bucking?
  4. Should I have gotten back on Miles immediately?
  5. Miles is out in a big pasture but hadn?t been ridden in 6 weeks, when he did a 50. Is that a long time in terms of pent up energy?
  6. Why Me, God/dess? Does the fact that Miles never bucked before mean that I did something specifically wrong during the ask for lower gear? I am pretty balanced w/ minimal rein contact, but I definitely don?t ride as well as his owner. Do you think he was resentful about that? I also know from my training in equine assisted psychotherapy that horses act out riders?/handlers? pent up ?stuff? (hmmmm...probably N/A here) or in/authenticity (hmmmm....could be), or...[your favorite theory HERE].

Thanks!

Beverley