[RC] Bucking!! - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Deb Ambrose mkkgs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

 I had Lippy at a horsemanship clinic when I first got him,
and we tried a Western saddle complete with rear cinch.  He
stood quietly as it was tightened, then when I went to lead
him forward, his eyes opened wide and he stood in one place,
kicking his heels up 10 feet in the air squealing like a pig.
I was alarmed, embarrassed, and didn't know what to do, so I
did nothing but hold the lead rope.  What luck, he stopped, and
another participant a little older than I am came up and
whispered, "He doesn't do that when you're on him, does he?"
I said, "He doesn't have to do it that many times in a row."
 When he has bucked with me, I usually get launched forward
on the first one, grab a handfull of mane with one hand, and
turn him sharply.  At least, I think this is what happens, it's
all a blur.  The common denominator is the broken fingernails
on my left hand, and the fact we're doing a tight circle to the
right when we both come back to our senses.  When I've come
off, it's been by way of landing on his neck, sliding around
(sometimes quickly, I've been told by witnesses) and landing
smack on my back on the left side of his shoulder.  I've almost
always gotten right back on, but the worries and nagging fear
that follow have come in the next few days, not right away.
 Let's hear it for helmets!

  Deb and Lippy
  Aberdeen, NC
mkkgs at mindspring dot com