RE: [RC] de spooking/trainers - Mary Ann Spencer - Tracey Lomax

What I have a problem with is the fact that these clinicians advocate “one” approach which will fix all horses.  I’m no expert, haven’t owned many, but I do have in my yard at this minute four TBs who are about as bombproof as you get.  Two of them raced A LOT and VERY successfully, one had two starts, one broke down with knee chips at four.  They’re all schooled along the same principles but the mental approach with each one is completely different because each one is an individual.

In fact, that’s part of what I like about training horses, finding what works for each horse.  I’ve taught a number of very difficult horses to load in a box, and I didn’t use the same approach twice in a row.  You approach a frightened horse differently than one who’s just being stubborn and bolshy.

Tracey

PS When I say bombproof I mean bombproof.  My horses are expected to go with me on Pony Club Easter Egg hunts, to shopping centres, hack down the main road past trucks, Front end loaders, Harley Davidsons.  They’re expected to cope on a hunt, at a show, at an event, in any strange environment.  I make allowances for fear and the fact that two of them are, by nature VERY HOT, but I certainly do not expect them to toss their toys at the slightest provocation.  Getting startled is allowed, spooking is not.  Having fun is allowed, being a tosser is not.  The rules are simple and they don’t change.

And nothing grates my cheese more than the old saying “dippy TB”.  They’re only dippy if you allow it.